Assalamu Alaikum Dear Reader
Alhamdulillah, the “I Read Nahj al-Balagha” movement is gaining momentum with participants joining in from all across the country. We are excited that you have decided to join as we explore the teachings of Imam Ali (a); may this be a good step towards bringing Imam Ali’s words into our lives and our world. With the help of Allah s.w.t, we aim to complete the entire book by Eid Al-Ghadir.
Please click on the blue button to download the reading schedule in Arabic, English, Farsi, French and Urdu. Here is how to simplify the reading of The Nahj al-Balagha:
- Read the English translation of The Nahj al-Balagha by Shaykh Muhammad Dashti.
- Begin by reading at least 10 min every night.
- Start from the sayings (which tend to be shorter) and work your way up to the sermons. This will ease your way of getting introduced to the book’s diction and syntax. Read the sayings from start to finish twice.
- Read the letters from beginning to end.
- Read the sermons from beginning to end.
At this stage simply read the Nahj al-Balagha without dwelling too much on any part. Spending too much time at the beginning will tire you out and discourage you. Remember, consistency is the most important thing at the beginning stages.
- Create a group with others who are interested.
- During the first meeting, highlight the importance of reviving The Nahj al-Balagha to clarify the focus and the direction of the group.
- During each meeting, start from the sayings and end with the sermons. All members should read parts of the text and do so in a slow and steady manner in order to fully appreciate the message.
- The group leader should pose questions to invoke deeper reflection on the text. (The footnotes provided by Shaykh Muhammad Dashti are very helpful in this regard). The questions could be either answered in the immediate session or followed up in the next one.
- Do not aim for in-depth analysis in the first round of reading; the initial goal is to only become familiar with the literature.
- Although many questions will arise as you read, be patient as answers will be provided elsewhere in the text.
- During the first round of reading you will see that unlike what we thought or what we’ve been told, ordinary people are capable of understanding at least 70% of what is written. Remember, consistency is key!
With the initiation of this project, we hope to open an avenue for achieving many milestones to come. Stay in touch with us for more about our future projects, conferences, and outreach activities, including our upcoming book club.
The MSA-PSG Team